Pages

Shaolin Temple



Shaolin Temple
Photos by Lorraine Thomas
My visit to the Shaolin Temple (also known as the Shaolin Monastery) located in Dengfeng City, China was a great reality for me because I grew up with a household of boys who idolized martial arts.  The Shaolin area is rich culture and history.  It is the origins of the world famous Shaolin Kungfu and the birthplace of Chinese Zen.  The Shaolin Temple was built over 1,500 years ago. 

Photos by Lorraine Thomas


Martial Arts
Photos by Lorraine Thoma
The monastery is of high prestige, and the requirements for any boy to be granted admission is extremely competitive.  Boys who are admitted entry receive extensive training from day one.  I was fortunate to spend the night on campus where I heard them training as early as 05:00 a.m.  That was so exciting!

The Forest of Pagoda Cemetery 
Photos by Lorraine Thoma
West of Shaolin Temple is the forest of Pagoda, which is the cemetery where all the senior monks of different dynasties are buried and houses over 240 pagodas of the dynasties from Tang to Qing.



 The Shaolin Kungfu Show
However, the highlight of my experience was when I attended their Chinese martial arts performance, called the Shaolin Kungfu Show, which I have captured in the video below.  Enjoy the performance!

No comments:

Post a Comment