Pages

Chinese Food in China


Grandma Lin’s Flavor Restaurant in Datong, China.  Photos by Lorraine Thomas

Eating Chinese food in China was so authentically different from what I’m used to in the United States and my taste buds will never be the same.  This was the most anticipated event of my study tour in China.  I practiced eating with chopsticks for approximately three months prior to my departure because I wanted to impress the Chinese themselves.  Just like most things in life, practicing to eat with chopsticks got progressively better the more I did it. 
At home, I ate everything with chopsticks all day long, but eating rice was the most challenging of them all.  Once I made my way to China, I fit right in!  I watched with admiration how the Chinese manipulated chopsticks with bread, pastry, and other awkward food items with a breeze.  I found it insulting if I were ever offered a fork, which occurred infrequently, and would politely say to the server: bu (it means no in Chinese.)


Chinese Food
Photos by Lorraine Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment